Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Colonoscopies and good laughs with friends!

I struggled briefly on whether to share these details about my private life....but then I thought what the heck!
OK so tomorrow I am having a colonoscopy.
As a GI nurse I must get on my soap box about how EVERYONE at the age of 50 should get one....and if you missed it at age 50 its still not to late. Colon cancer is a silent killer. Most times by the time there is symptoms it is too late. And lets face it no one wants to volunteer to have that test....although i did volunteer my hubby Peter for one three years ago. The end result of his was "the test was not that bad" and the doctor did find a very small precancerous polyp that 10 years from then at age 50 might have been a huge mass of cancer requiring surgery, chemo or worse yet had it spread. I often like to tease him that I saved his life. Anyways he is scheduled for a follow up colonoscopy in October. OK so off my soap box and onto my colonoscopy.
So today I called a friend. To avoid any identifying information since I do not have permission to share her story...I will just say we have known each other almost FOREVER! and I really mean FOREVER. Anyways, we talk small talk. Hows the kids? Hows our husbands? Hows our siblings" Hows my mom? Hows her parents? Then on to how we are are. We begin to talk about her personal health issues she is having, and aches and pains and doctor appointments. We then go into my issues and that I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow. By the end of our conversation we were both in hysterics on how our conversations have turned into old people conversations. Her and I must get together soon and do some fun young stuff after today's conversation. TOO funny!
Anyways, so for those that are over due for a colonoscopy PLEASE GET ONE!

No comments: