Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sweet Sixteen!

Well yesterday Anya turned 16. Hard to believe the shy little 12 year old we met is now a beautiful confident 16 year old. She has grown so much. She is 5'8" (taller than me now) and so beautiful inside and out. Peter and I each worte her a note sharing how proud we are of her and thankful that GOd blessed us with her. We also gave her a ring we purchased in Russia that has a stone that is mined in RUssia (my bad, cant remeber the name of the stone :) I will have to look it up). We had Grandma, Aunt Annette, Uncle Bill and their girls come over for a celebration of dinner and cake and ice cream. Speaking of cake, this time of year is always so busy with preparing for Christmas that I usually purchase a store bought cake for ANya's birthday. This year I woke up early and made a homemade birthday cake. Ok I should clarify that homemade in my vocabulary is homemade from a box. Anyways I decorated it real pretty with using candy canes broken into the shapes of letters spelling out "Happy 16th Birthday ANya" It was adorable if I might say so myself. I had purchased a nice plastic tray (but did not look like plastic) to put her cake on. It looked fabulous. Well before going out to run errands and pick the girls up from school I noticed a fly in the house (unusual in the winter) so I put the cake in the oven to keep the fly off of it.
Well all afternoon I ran errands (mostly picking up kids from school). On the way home I stopped by to get some dinner and called Peter who was already home from work. I asked him to throw some chicken nuggets in the oven for my younger nieces in case they didn't want what I was serving. I got home to find out Peter had nopt done what I had asked so I turned on the oven and flew around the kitchen to do the final preparations for dinner when something began smelling odd. Finally my mom said something and it dawned on me! Anya's cake was in the oven on the lovely plastic tray. I opened the oven to find the tray had completely melted in my oven (can you say toxic cake?) I had to throw the cake witht the melted tray attached in the trash.....I could have cried I spent all morning on that beauty! Oh well she ended up with a store bought cake after (seeing a tradition forming here).
All was well and I think Anya enjoyed her birthday!
Happy Birthday ANya!
I will have to post pictures later!

4 comments:

2kidmommy said...

That so sounds like something I would do!

Faith said...

Oh Snoozie, that is awful! What a huge bummer that must have been but I am still proud of you and the effort you put forth for your girl. :) Happy Birthday Anya!

Niki said...

Oh goodness. How disappointing the cake episode must have been. But it will be something you will laugh about for years to come. Happy Birthay Anya. You truly are a beautiful young lady! I'm glad to have met you!

Ginger said...

Happy birthday to your sweet 16!
Ugh about the cake! How disappointing! Sorry.